Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

This is my fourth time reading this. And I still love it so, so much. I was supposed to re-read it last year too, but I didn't make time for it, so it has now been over two and a half year since my last read. Gosh. Time moves so fast. Yet I still think about this trilogy all the time, because it has a special place in my heart. Always.

I can't even begin to mention why I love this book so much. It's just special to me. The writing is incredible. The world created is the most amazing thing to read about. Reading about Lyra just fills me with joy, because she is the very best girl and I love her so much. Reading about dæmons and bears never gets boring.

I must admit that the next two books are more special to me, simply because they are about Lyra and Will. And Will was not in this first book. But even though he wasn't, it was still such a spectacular book and I just love it oh so much. I'm not going to talk much about it this time. Simply because my heart is full and my mind feels empty. I'm so so glad that I finally had the time to read these most precious books again, as the first book in The Book of Dust trilogy is out this week, and oh gosh, I'm beyond excited. I'm so thrilled that Philip is writing more books from this world. And that they will all be about Lyra. When she's around twenty in book two and three, and I simply cannot wait. I have such high hopes and dreams and wishes and fears. Excited.

This book tells the story of eleven year old Lyra. She has lived at a college all her life, and she's a little savage because of this. And I loved that about her so much. She's a bit wild yet fiercely full of love too. She tells a whole bunch of stories and lies, yet she knows when things are important. In the beginning of the book she is very much a child, but by the end of this book, she has grown up a whole lot. Which is mostly because of all the awful things that happen around her, and that break my heart. So much pain.

I'm not going to mention all that happens in this book. Just that if you have not read it yet, then you are truly missing out. This book is full of everything. Lyra is the most awesome girl. And she has the cutest dæmon, Pan. Every human in this world has a dæmon, a part of their soul as an animal. Reading about all of that is just the most precious thing. I loved learning about it all over again. I had not really forgotten anything about this book these past few years, but it was still so lovely to read it all over again. I love it all.

There is so much that I could say about The Golden Compass. But I'm not going to. Just that this book is truly perfect. And I love it beyond words. And I simply cannot wait to re-read the next two books as well, and then finally get to read La Belle Sauvage. It's going to be so good. I'm simply unable to share more about why I love this book so much. Just that it is heartbreaking yet so lovely. Story is epic and exciting and so evil. So much happens, and I loved reading every moment of it. And I will never not love this book.


1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe I haven't read this one. I have certainly heard of it- but never read it. Need to read it this year!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)